Who We Are
Director of Equity and Community Engagement
Reports to: Chief Communications and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Officer
Language Skills: Written and oral fluency in English; candidates who also have proficiency or fluency in other languages, especially Spanish, Cantonese, or Mandarin, are strongly encouraged to apply
Start date: Immediately
Location: Big Sister Association Offices, 20 Park Plaza, Boston, MA. Our office maintains a hybrid working model that allows staff flexibility to work remote and in office. This position also requires travel to and working around Greater Boston to community partner sites.
Compensation: This position offers a competitive salary starting at $80,108. Full-time, exempt position. Comprehensive benefits package including paid time off and health benefits.
Please send resume with subject line Director of Equity and Community Engagement to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please attach your resumé as a Word document or a PDF. We will then send candidates a short questionnaire to complete and overview of our hiring process. Learn more about working at Big Sister by visiting our website here: https://www.bigsister.org/who-we-are/careers-internships/
Big Sister Association of Greater Boston is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, ability, age, gender identity or gender expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Big Sister Boston is seeking a Director of Equity and Community Engagement to take our community partner relationships to the next level. This role will focus on Big Sister Boston’s continued commitment and belief that the girls and young women in our programs deserve access to a diverse community of leaders, ambassadors, and advocates who value and understand them. The Director of Equity and Community Engagement will create a vision and plan for Big Sister Boston’s community outreach and engagement strategy. This strategy will work to support current staff initiatives across the organization and to cultivate relationships with external partners passionate about our mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. In collaboration with team members, they will also be responsible for marketing to increase visibility in the communities we serve. This role serves as a key member of the Marketing and Communications team.
Strong candidates are passionate about cultivating and stewarding relationships with key partners in the Greater Boston area and creating brand communications and content in a culturally competent and authentic way. This is a great opportunity for those excited about utilizing their creativity, passion, and experience to build relationships across a range of stakeholders in our community and connect them with our mission-driven programs.
Big Sister is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Multilingual, multicultural and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are interested in working at a well-established, dynamic and supportive organization committed to serving girls, please apply.
- Create and socialize a vision for the Agency’s community outreach and engagement
- Establish metric(s) for community engagement, monitor implementation and evaluate results of strategy and standard operating procedures
- Build community and government partnerships with the intent of driving and building brand awareness and affinity to drive both recruitment and funding opportunities
- Working closely with the Chief Communications and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer (CCDEIO) and Marketing team members, develop and activate fully integrated marketing plans to increase Big Sister Boston’s community visibility via social media, PR, and content strategy; identify and leverage community media outlets for both reach and credibility
- Partner with the Director of Recruitment to support opportunities and events that will enhance Big Sister Boston’s reach and engagement in communities of color throughout Greater Boston
- Serve as primary point of contact for Big Sister Boston’s Diversity Board, attending monthly board meetings, coordinating support for the Board’s community engagement events, and facilitating ongoing communication between BSGB staff and the Board
- Facilitate organizational DEI discussions and training, including playing a lead role in managing the Agency’s internal Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Ambassadors Program, and collaborating with the CCDEIO to address internal/external response to relevant local or national events
- As a member of the Leadership Team, work across departments to advance community engagement strategy and initiatives
- At least four years of experience working in marketing/sales/PR/communications, preferably in a brand partnership role
- Values-driven leader with demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and cross-cultural issues in an educational setting or complex workplace required
- Passion and a proven track record of success in building long-term, multi-faceted partnerships with community-based stakeholders
- Experience in analyzing and synthesizing data and creating reports for strategic planning aligned to department and organizational goals
- Sensitivity to and experience in working with culturally diverse populations and with girls and women
- Knowledge and experience building community relationships within Greater Boston
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with a demonstrated ability to engage diverse audiences across different sectors (e.g., neighborhood communities, college students, corporate audiences)
- Excited about and effective in working autonomously and within a cross-functional team
- Enthusiastic about learning with the ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Availability and flexibility to work weekday evenings and weekends for various recruitment and community partnership events, as well as travel to varying local venues
- Facility with Microsoft Office Suite and comfort with data management systems (Big Sister uses a Salesforce database platform)
Don’t meet every qualification? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet 100% of the job qualifications. At Big Sister, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. If you are passionate about the role and the organization, we encourage you to apply even if your experience does not meet every requirement. You could be the perfect fit for this role or other opportunities!