Who We Are
Part-Time Program Assistant
Big Sister Boston is seeking a detail- and solutions-oriented part-time Program Assistant who will play a key role in providing meaningful experience to our volunteers, Little Sisters, and families. Because Big Sister is a highly collaborative organization, this is an exciting opportunity for someone who is eager to gain exposure and contribute to all areas of program operations.
The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the program team with back-office responsibilities to steward a positive volunteer and child experience. Responsibilities include data entry of participant applications, reference checks of volunteers, supporting background check process, and completing administrative responsibilities. Strong candidates have an eye for detail, are driven to deliver accurate, timely information and understand how quality, back-office operations are essential in supporting a values-aligned and meaningful participant experience. We seek those who are eager to collaborate and learn with all departments within a vibrant nonprofit organization.
- Conduct reference checks for prospective volunteers in a timely manner
- Process volunteer and child applications and enter inquiries into the database
- Perform administrative duties, including preparing letters, assembling program folders, and organizing program supplies
- Manage the renewal process of confidential background checks
- Assist in daily front desk coverage by answering phone calls, providing information to callers, and greeting guests
- Provide administrative support for program events as needed
- Prior experience working in a professional office setting
- Passionate about Big Sister’s mission
- Ability to clearly communicate in writing and over the phone
- Sensitivity to and experience in working with culturally diverse populations
- Passion for and a proven track record of success in providing excellent customer service
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to handle multiple ongoing responsibilities and effectively prioritize
- Demonstrated skill to take initiative and be proactive in problem-solving
- Excited about and effective in working autonomously and within and cross-functional team
- Enthusiastic about learning with the ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Facility with Microsoft Office Suite and comfort with data management systems (Big Sister uses a Salesforce database platform)
Reports to: Manager of Enrollment & Matching
Language Skills: Written and oral fluency in English.
Start date: Immediately
Location: Big Sister Association Offices, 20 Park Plaza, Boston, MA
Compensation: $16-$18/hr; 20 hours a week; flexible schedule within hours of Monday-Friday, 9-5pm
Please send cover letter and resume with subject line Program Assistant to: email@example.com. Please attach your cover letter and resumé as a Word document or a PDF.