Who We Are
Do you believe in the power of transformative relationships for girls? Are you ready to impact the Greater Boston community one girl at a time? If you answered yes, and the idea of being part of a collaborative, performance-driven, focused team excites you then join us! At Big Sister Association of Greater Boston, we have been helping girls reach their full potential through positive mentoring relationships with women since 1951. We are the largest mentoring organization in Greater Boston exclusively serving girls and an award-winning affiliate of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
Big Sister Boston is seeking a customer service oriented professional to recruit women and girls into our mentoring programs and enrichment services. Strong candidates are goal driven and effective at building rapport and persuasively communicating with adults and girls’ families from diverse backgrounds and experiences. This is a great opportunity for someone who is excited about leveraging and developing their marketing and recruiting skills through volunteer and child recruitment.
Big Sister is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, multilingual and multicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are interested in working at a well-established, dynamic and supportive organization committed to serving girls, please apply.
Recruit Volunteers and Girls
- Recruit women and girls to meet annual program goals
- Conduct presentations and host information tables at recruitment events (currently at virtual events)
- Conduct volunteer and child pre-screening over the phone
- Engage the support of Big Sister Boston’s community e.g., auxiliary board members, Big Sisters and supporters in recruitment efforts
- Contribute to and use social media recruitment campaigns: Instagram, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Maintain current and identify additional forums for Big Sister Boston postings on volunteer web sites.
Community and Neighborhood Outreach
- Identify prospective recruitment partnerships including colleges, universities, corporations, women’s associations and community/neighborhood groups
Administration and Interdepartmental Support
- Update all appropriate databases (Matchforce, Sisterforce) in a timely and accurate manner
- Gather and document recruitment event outcomes and help identify the most effective recruitment strategies
- Bachelor’s degree required. Education or leadership experience in public service, community organizing, account/project management, or marketing/communications preferred
- Passionate about Big Sister’s mission and excited to engage others in the work and vision
- Ability to clearly communicate in writing and speaking to diverse audiences across different sectors (e.g. neighborhood communities, college students, corporate audiences)
- Effective presentation and public speaking skills for audiences of 25-100+
- Sensitivity to and experience in working with culturally diverse populations and demonstrated ability to build strong, healthy and productive relationships with girls and women
- Passion for and a proven track record of success in providing excellent, customer service
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Demonstrated skill to take initiative, be proactive in problem-solving and – implementing new procedures to improve customer service
- Excited about and effective in working autonomously and within a cross-functional team
- Enthusiastic about learning with the ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to handle multiple ongoing responsibilities and effectively prioritize
- Ability to clearly communicate on the phone and in person as well as via email
- Facility with Microsoft Office Suite and comfort with data management systems (Big Sister uses a Salesforce database platform)
- Availability and flexibility to work weekday evenings and weekends on a regular basis, as well as travel to varying local venues
Reports to: Manager of Volunteer Engagement
Language Skills: Written and oral fluency in English; candidates who also have proficiency or fluency in Spanish, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Start date: Immediately
Location: Big Sister Association Offices, 20 Park Plaza, Boston, MA
Compensation: $37,000 – 39,000 Full-time, exempt position. Comprehensive benefits package including paid time off and health benefits.
Please send cover letter and resume with subject line Recruitment Specialist to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach your cover letter and resumé as a Word document or a PDF.